x265 is a free software library and application for encoding video streams into the
H.265/MPEG-H HEVC compression format,
and is released under the terms of the GNU GPL.
- Provides next-generation compression and codec.
- Fast and excellent quality.
- Completly free and libre software, ensuring freedom for everyone.
- The APIs are similar to x264 APIs
The latest x265 source code can always be found by anonymous hg repository:
# hg clone http://hg.videolan.org/x265
You can browse the source on-line.
- Full prediction and transform quad-tree recursion supported
- Adaptive B-frame placement
- B-frames as references / arbitrary frame order
- CABAC entropy coding
- Intra: all block types (32x32, 16x16, 8x8, 4x4, and PCM with all predictions)
- Inter P: all partitions (from 64x64 down to 8x4)
- Inter B: partitions from 64x64 down to 8x4 (including all merge modes
- and biprediction)
- Weighted prediction for P slices
- Multiple reference frames
- Ratecontrol: constant quantizer, constant quality, single pass ABR, optional VBV
- Scenecut detection
- Parallel encoding on multiple CPUs, both frame-level and wavefront parallelism
In addition to being free to use under the GNU GPL, x265 is also available under a commercial license from MulticoreWare Inc.
Software using x265
If you use x265 in another project, let us know!